Work From Home Postural Alignment with Amy Koslowsky
This week we partnered with integrative physical therapist Amy Koslowsky for a session on postural alignment. One of the biggest key takeaways: make sure you are getting up from your seated position at least every 20 - 30 minutes. Here is a simple exercise you can use daily, or multiple times a day.
Take care of your body while you work from home
Taking time each day to connect with your body can help maintain good body posture. Keep these key points (shown in the graphic above) of your body engaged while sitting, moving + with exercise so that you can keep your body balanced and safe.
Additional Notes to Consider:
- If sitting, make sure your feet are in contact with the ground.
- Sit upright.
- Use a small towel roll to support the curve of your lower back.
- Keep elbows bent close to your body.
- Raise your laptop about 6 - 12 inches above your workspace (not directly on your lap or coffee table so your neck is in a better position).
- Set an alarm for every 20 - 30 minutes to take a little walk for about 5 minutes.
- While standing, try this stretch: place your hands on the back of your hips, push your hips forward and lift your chin up and forward. Feel length through the front of your chest as you create some space in your lower back. Take 5 - 10 deep breaths.
- The more you practice engaging your corset (pelvic floor in and up, belly up and in towards the spine, ribs down and in, tailbone length so the gluts are engaged) the more your body will learn so that you can stabilize correctly
Amy Koslowky, MSPT, CHC, integrative physical therapist, received her BS/MS in Physical Therapy from the College of Staten Island and has over twenty years of experience specializing in Breast Cancer Recovery, Women’s Health and Musculoskeletal Pain + Injury. In addition to her studies as a physical therapist, Amy is certified in Holistic Nutrition from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. She combines her medical training, extensive knowledge of the body + nutrition with intuitive touch and mind-body practices to guide her clients towards reconnecting with their bodies.
You can learn more at https://amykoslowsky.com or find her @amykos5